Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ender's game



I watched this film at the cinema today and I really enjoyed it!
The story was about a group of super intelligent kids who are selected to be trained as commanders /fighters to defeat an alien species that tried to colonize the earth.
We follow their journey through various stages of training until a final, controversial battle at the end of the film. I don't want to spoil it for you, you have to go and watch the film yourself, if you are a science fiction fan you will probably enjoy "Ender's game".
I loved the special effects, the structures they managed to create (spaceship, rockets, various sci-fi gadgets), the environment of the alien planet and the general feel of the film. It had a good balance between action and the psychological development of the characters. The battle scenes were really cool!
Normally I really don't like CGI but it was so well done that everything felt so real! I actually felt some emotions during this film, which rarely happens when I watch sci-fi movies.

check this out


I was particularly fascinated by the training scenes at "Battle school" where the kids had to train in a vast chamber with 0 gravity, playing a game where they had to shoot each other's teams. I always wanted to try to hover in 0 gravity and these scenes really made me feel like I was flying around with the guys and was part of the team!
I mean look at this! Who wouldn't want to try it?



How cool is this???!!

Nothing better than training with a friend of the opposite sex in a cool battle suit!

What I keep wondering is why in every film are aliens always portrayed as some kind of ugly insects or horrible lizard like creatures...couldn't they be a little bit more human or extremely beautiful creatures? I guess it would be really hard then to fight them or hate them, they always need to be portrayed as something disgusting. Apart from the film "Avatar" where they are kinda cute and a bit human looking, where of course one sides with them, because they are the "victims".
"Ender's game" is actually taken from a book, or better a book series by author Orson Scott Card. I think it is always a bit sad that people (like me in this case) seems to discover a book or an author AFTER having watched a film or played a video game, then again if this is a way to get people to read I guess it is all good.

the novel

Now that I watched this film I really can't wait to get a hold of these books!
I found this interesting image online that illustrates the series.


The film starred Harrison Ford, who was still in great shape considering his age. I really love this actor.
I am a big Indiana Jones fan!
The young protagonists Asa Butterfield (very promising young British actor!) and Hailee Steinfeld (OMG, the same girl of "True Grit", I didn't recognize her at all!) were absolutely brilliant!

Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld

And what about Bonzo, played by Moises Arias, simply awesome! Yes, I really loved the acting of the cast, it was very convincing.
I definitely want to see this movie again!

No comments:

Post a Comment