CAREFUL, CONTAINS SPOILERS!!
I didn't know what to expect from this film. I normally am not a big fan of re-makes as the original versions often tend to be better but when I saw the trailer, I thought "Wow, this must be a really terrifying film!". Everybody was like telling me "No Hayam, don't watch that movie, that is way too scary blah blah blah".
I went to the cinema prepared to see something that would make my stomach turn and that would make me jump and I ended up laughing throughout the whole film.
Seriously! Basically all the blood and gore you see on the trailer is about it really...not much more to it to see. It seems that the most exciting part of this film are the gory scenes, but even they didn't have that much impact to be honest...it is like we have seen it all before, apart from maybe the girl splitting her tongue in two with a knife...but then again nothing shocking.
|Hundreds of black metal fans have taken pics licking knives before...not new!|
People who saw this film and say it has so much blood in it, they obviously haven't watched "Itchy the Killer" and similar movies LOL.
I think the gory effects didn't have much impact on me because there was nothing that created suspence or that built up the tension. It was like everything was happenning too quickly, before you really got to know the characters and started to feel for them...it is like they were just hanging about in the cabin waiting to be killed and you are just waiting for them to turn into demons just to see something exciting. Apart from the main character and her brother, the rest of the characters were nearly non-existant in the story.
The story was just way too ridiculous. Let me break it down for you and show you the points that really didn't work for me.
THE FILM'S WEAK POINTS:
- They are in a small cabin with demons in it and they have a perfectly good car and they don't even try to escape or drive away? Seriously...!! Unless one is looking forward to be killed they should maybe do an escape attempt.
- The cabin is just tiny, yet when something gruesome happens like someone is getting killed, no one hears any screams, no one comes to help or fight back.... where is everybody when people are getting slaughtered? Are they next door playing cards?
- When the first girl gets killed in the bathroom, nobody really gives a damn about her. They don't even say "Oh my God you killed her" or anything like that...they ignored the whole thing completely and they just close the door and she is history, they don't even mention her anymore for the whole film
|The bathroom girl...poor thing, nobody cared about you!|
- Another bathroom scene. The main character is taking a very hot shower...the water is so hot that it manages to burn her face so much that her skin gets burned and splits open to the point that later in the movie you can see her bones. Ehm, first off, the cabin is in the woods in the middle of nowhere, it would be hard to believe that they had any running water at all let alone high pressured water that is scolding hot can create deep scars all the way to your bones? Ok it's just a film...then again this is bloody ridiculous! Too ridiculous to be believed.
Plus how many bathrooms does this little cabin have? Because this is definitely not the same bathroom where the first girl got killed.
- The blonde girl in the film cuts her arm off with a tiny electric knife. Yeah, right! It would take bloody hours to get that done but she does it in a few seconds with that lousy blade! LOL
|Seriously, your mom probably uses this blade to peel carrots|
- The main character gets buried alive by her own brother in order to break the demon's curse. This has got to be the most ridiculous scene in the whole film. First off the hole he digs is just pathetic!
It is like 10 cm deep!!! Ok that he was in a hurry to bury her because she was possessed, then again he has time to find a beautiful red dress and put it on her before he buries her?? Come on!!
But here comes the juicy part: he just covered her with dirt and literally not even two seconds go by and he takes her out from the earth again and revives her with the help of a car battery?!!!
As soon as he takes her off the ground her face is whole again, prettier than ever, healthy and with an immaculate skin! Come on!! She had split her tongue in two with a knife, she had been a demon for the past 6 hours, her skin was all full of bruises and her bloody bones were showing and now she is whole again?! And this miracle happenned in a matter of two seconds?
|How shallow is this hole? And the demon doesn't even try to get out?|
- They said in the film that if they managed to kill the demon in the main girl, which they did, the curse would be broken. Yet the main character's brother gets back to the cabin to get the car keys (about time by the way!) and manages to get killed by his friend who in the meanwhile turned into a demon.
- In the end of the film this big ass demon is supposed to be rising from the earth. You look at him and you almost feel sorry for him...how old is he? 12?? You can't even tell if he is a boy or a girl!
He is supposed to be all powerful and scary yet the only thing he does is to turn a car on its side??
The main character, with a chainsaw, first cuts off the demon's legs (and he doesn't even try to fight back!) and then she splits his head open! She cuts through him like butter!!
And the only injury she has was self inflicted!!
This demon boy wouldn't even scare a 5 year old!!!
|The big terrifying demon who should have been the film's climax.... LOL!!!!|
- In the beginning of the movie the main character is given a necklace by her brother, which she breaks in two later on. In the end of the film she picks up the necklace again and puts it around her neck and it is magically whole again, brand new and shiny!
When did they have time to repair it with demons around the house? Oh maybe that is what they were all doing when people were getting slaughtered and everyone else was minding their own business? And even if someone had tried to repair it at least it should have shown some signs of repairing, a knot or something...don't you think?
- If the film was set in the present times, shouldn't they have cell phones? Trying to get some help?
- The cabin was uninhabited for a long time and the characters in the film didn't meet for many years. Yet on the wall of the cabin there are photos of all these friends together that look like they were taken the day before....ehm...
- What is with the same brown-yellow circle lenses that they are using with every character turning into a demon??
|Circle lenses and dolly nose, you are so pretty I want you for my Barbie collection!|
- Finally the satanic book looks like a diary of a frustrated teenager..."leave this book alone".... "don't read this" ....ohh woww how scary!!!!
|From the diary of a frustrated teenager LOL!!!|
Honestly, this film is not scary at all!!! The cinematography is wicked, great images, great angles, but it doesn't manage to create the scary atmosphere of the original movie!
They should have worked more on the story and put less effort into the effects!
Big gory effects are useless if you don't succeed in creating a tense atmosphere....
a film that really scared me was "The Haunting" old black and white film...there is no effects there, no blood nor violence, yet you get scared because you feel psychologically and emotionally involved in the story... this film didn't do it for me.