Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Interview with Kalte Traurigkeit




I had the chance to interview Eric Labrie, founder and mastermind of a remarkable darkwave neoclassical outfit called KALTE TRAURIGKEIT from Quebec, Canada.

It's a project that caught my attention as their sound and atmosphere evokes memories of Dreamlike Horror (my own project) with its obscure soundscapes characterized by heavy strings sections and  melancholic, mournful sensations. Here is what Eric had to say.

Kalte Traurigkeit: Eric and Genevieve



1) Hello Eric, how did the concept of KALTE TRAURIGKEIT come about and develop from its inception to your first album?

Hi Hayam. The concept came after I first listened to bands such as Autumn tears, Dargaard, DVKE. etc. I liked the style so much and it was so inspiring to me that I began to write some parts. I was 16 or 17 at the time. It was in 2000 or 2001, don't remember. But I never really push the project further until 2007. I decided it was time to seriously build up that project, with the intention of creating the most horror like, depressive, sorrowful music possible. So I wrote Equilibrium in that way, a conceptual album introducing a whole trilogy.  



 2) How come  did you chose a German name to represent your project,  which in English could be translated as “Cold Sadness”?

Cold sadness represents very well the feeling we want to reproduce in our music, but we thought that this sentence didn't sound really punchy in English, so we translated it to German, which is Kalte Traurigkeit.


 

3) Are you a sad person?  What are you like in your daily life? Are you a full time musician or do you have another job?

No I'm not a sad person. In my daily life, I'm a father, a boyfriend, like to be with my friends, as probably everybody haha. Music isn't my full time business yet, but I work hard to make it  possible, with my recording studio and all other projects I've in mind.

 

4) Your album has a very dark, classy and melancholic sound.  Can you tell us something about the lyrical content  of “Equilibrium” and what kind of message you want to convey with your music?

Equilibrium tells about a man who cannot face his demons, his memories. He has to make a choice between the hard way of facing them and live or let them kill him. So it's a complete introspection which will last during the entire 3 albums. The message behind this is really simple: you always have choices in life. You can live and face some shit, confront it and get stronger, or abandoned yourself in a depressive and really dark way, which I think isn't a really nice option.

 

5) “Equilibrium” is the first album of a trilogy. Have you already written material for two more albums or  is it only an idea waiting to be put into music?

I'm working on the mix, and plan to release it this year. It's taking longer than expected due to some line-up trouble and my other projects that took a lot of time. But the result is simply outstanding. A new more complex sound and really more classically oriented.

 
 

6) Do you compose everything yourself in this project or has any other member contributed in the creation of  the material?

I compose everything, except some vocal parts I preferred to leave to Mireille at the time and to Genevieve  now. I write all lyrics, too. But I'm always open to listen to suggestions, ideas, etc.



 7) I have seen you had some line- up changes. How come and how did this influence the life of the band? Have you ever considered collaborating with some other musician or adding more members to your project?

Yeah, the line-up changed a lot. I tried to make the band a real Quintet, with 2 violins, a viola, a cello and a bass. I found a cello and a bass player but they eventually left the band. And a couple of months later Mireille left too for some personal reasons. So I searched for a new singer, found one who finally declined the offer, approached several others, and finally found Genevieve, a really talented soprano.
 
 
Kalte Traurigkeit's soprano Genevieve Roussel

 

8) Is there anyone in the music scene that you would dream to work with?

Yes, but with the new sound of Kalte, I would need a whole orchestra, including a choirs section. So, for the moment, I'm not looking for other musicians. Maybe some guest singers, or maybe I'll plan to get some musicians for all the solo parts. Let's see in the future.

 

9) What are your plans for the future? Do you plan on supporting your music with an official video?

I plan to make the project a lot bigger than it is. I would like to make it a reference in the genre haha. Who knows, dreams are free :)  But yes, an official video would be a nice idea. We are considering that option.
 
 

10)  If someone wants to see you live, buy your cd or book you for a gig, where can they contact you?

The easiest way to contact us is via our Facebook. We have a shop on it and all links to our other pages and other shops such as Bandcamp are there, too. Here are our principal links:

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment