Friday, March 29, 2013

Interview with POP icon GAZEBO

This week I had the honour and pleasure to interview a true international pop star for my blog: Gazebo!
Lovers of Pop and Italo-disco music certainly remember him for his biggest hits from the '80s such as "Masterpiece", " I like Chopin", "Telephone Mama". After years of seclusion in his recording studio in Rome producing other artists, Gazebo came back on the scene with a vengeance, releasing a fantastic and delightfully sophisticated album "The Syndrone", which in addition to the classic Gazebo melodic sounds, blends in rock and world music elements.
A new video "Queen of Burlesque", filmed in Rome shows us a more mature artist who still posesses the looks and the charisma that made generations of girls fall in love. A true gentleman, a talented yet humble artist, Gazebo is back to enchant us with his sweet neo-romantic music.
Enjoy this exclusive interview for my blog.


Gazebo


1) You are a legend of POP music in Europe and Asia and an inspiration to generations. What were the highlights of your career?

I released my first single in 1982 "Masterpiece" a new wave track with some elements of dance and articulate melody which became seminal to the "Italo disco" genre that inspired many synth pop productions in the 80. People like Pet Shop Boys and Modern Talking have openly admitted to have been inspired. In 1983 along with my first eponymous album came "I like Chopin" which is by far my best selling hit. Got the Music Week's "European Top Chart Act" award for this. I then produced another 7 albums plus a couple of official compilations.


Gazebo




2) How did you manage to get a record contract when you first started? What were your characteristics and skills that made you stick out?

I actually got Masterpiece to be produced independently by a local deejay, the white label sold 20.000 copies in a couple of weeks and I had the luck of being able to chose the right label. I had clear ideas as to my look and my musical project. Was lucky to have an open credit as per decisions.


3) “I like Chopin”, one of your most famous videos was shot in England. Why this particular location and what can you tell us about this experience?

The director, David Rose is British and we decided to trust his know how. He fully understood the idea behind the concept of the song and we worked in perfect harmony. It was a lovely experience although videos where still to become the "must have" for promotion. I was lucky my record company backed up the project, after all it was not that cheap, it was shot in 16mm as opposed to video, it's a small movie on it's own right.

4)     What is your favourite GAZEBO album and video and why?
My favorite is definitely "The Syndrone". (up to now) my best album. It's not only a collection of singles but also a 16 tracks journey in a 50 years old man's (me) thoughts in this new millennium. The video I like most is of course "I Like Chopin" ... for sentimental reasons.



 
Gazebo's first album
 
 
Gazebo's latest album "THE SYNDRONE"
 
 
 
 
I LIKE CHOPIN video



 
GAZEBO performing MASTERPIECE

 

 
 

TELEPHONE MAMA video
 


 
 
LUNATIC video
 

 

Gazebo
5) Where do you find inspiration for your lyrics? Do you have to be in a certain frame of mind to start creating a new song?

Songs come from anywhere and at anytime. I thought of "Dolce Vita" (a song I co-wrote for Ryan Paris and is also a great favorite of the 80) while I was in a bus in Rome thinking about a follow up to "Masterpiece" .. we passed close to Cinecittà (where Fellini did all his best stuff) and it just clung in my head.


6) You have a new video called “Queen of Burlesque”. What can you tell us about it?

I bumped into some Mamie Van Doren clips on youtube, became a "friend" on Facebook and then followed some links she posted on Burlesque Shows where she often attended even if she is in her 80 I suppose.. I was caught by the idea that seduction can also be totally detached from the physical stereotypes that want women to be young and sexy to be appealing.. There is a lot of charm and humor that can be sexier than a beautiful 20-year-old naked girl whirling around a pole.When I face producing the video I tried to keep away of the obvious.. And chose a wonderful aged lady called Rome as main subject.


QUEEN OF BURLESQUE Gazebo's new video

 



7) What is your relationship with your fans? How do you interact with them?
Of course I follow my friends and fans almost daily on the usual social networks but we also have a special space on my website www.gazebo.info and we spend some time together when they come on the gigs, dinner or lunch the day after. It's a nice, small and cozy community :-)


Me with other Gazebo fans from different parts of Italy before one of his concerts
 
A photo of me, Gazebo and my friend Claudia backstage
 


8) You have a web radio called RADIO GAZEBO. How did it start and developed? What types of program do you broadcast?

Well being an 80-music fan myself I thought of Radio Gazebo as a group on Facebook, where everyone could freely post their favorites and discuss about songs, videos, etc. The step ahead was the web radio www.radiogazebo.com where we broadcast the best of the 80' ... 24/7 with special shows every now and then.

Gazebo, always elegant
 


9) What are you doing these days as what are your projects for the future?

I'm working on new songs, it's about time :-)
 
 

Gazebo
10) Do you have any live shows coming up?

I always have a flow of events happening round the world, which is due to the amazing spread of "I Like Chopin" from Asia to South America and from Europe to Russia.

11) Have you ever been harassed backstage by some crazy fan?

Fans are (in my case) pushed by genuine feelings. They're never crazy and I have a deep respect, as I owe all my success to them.

12) Have you ever felt stage fright? If so, how do you fight it?

Of course, well the best is still in my humble opinion a glass of a good ol' Jack. No ice.





13) Do you have any dream that you want to come true?

My dreams are now projected to my children's future. I hope they will manage to fulfill their dreams and to have a happy life.


Gazebo and his beautiful daughter Eva
 

14) If you could go back in time and change some decision you took for your career, what would that be?
We all make mistakes and I am no exception. I could have improved my career in at least a couple of occasions. I made wrong decisions ... but I don't regret anything, after all I got to be a musician and make my wildest dreams come true and that's far more than what I probably deserved anyway, so the balance is positive. LOL
 

 
Me with THE SYNDRONE t-shirt

 

 



 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 


 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment