Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Brilliant interview with MICKMO, american artist



 
 


Today's blog post is a special edition featuring another EXCLUSIVE and very interesting interview with a true character, my graphic artist friend Mickmo, all the way from Kansas City, USA!
Mickmo is a very talented, controversial artist with a fun and great personality to match.
He has a passion for metal and for Doctor Who and I know he spends many sleepless nights hyper from his energy drinks!
It was a pleasure to interview him and I must say he managed to give us a brilliant insight into the world of alternative comics , self publishing and graphic arts. Enjoy!



Mickmo and the NHL STANLEY cup

 


1) When did you start drawing and how did you discover you had such talent?


I drew as soon as I could pick up a crayon. So I was 3 years old when I first drew a light blue window on a cinderblock garage. Visualizing tomorrow in the eyes of a 3 year old many many years and decades later. Growing up, I was really really poor and came up from death and abuse. But back then.....they didn't have fancy computers or things like that. All you had was pencils, pencil sharpeners and pieces of paper laying around. BEFORE COMPUTERS AND SCANNERS!!!


And really, I suppose the art gets back to all of that. I guess you have to almost KNOW what you're going to do, then the rest just sort of maps itself out. Sometimes it takes a day....sometimes it takes MANY YEARS!

I got my Commercial Art/Industrial Design degree in 1996 or so. And found myself eventually in the back letter columns of THE MAXX! I guess that was how it all started for me with the comic book stuff! But I had been doing the art for a really long time long before that. They said I was a prodigy early on. My older stuff used to look a lot more realistic!

The Flaming C by Mickmo
 

2) Do you have to be in any particular state of mind to start drawing or working on your stories, or does the inspiration come spontaneously?

Oh, sometimes I draw solely from mood. Sometimes I draw from structure. Sometimes BOTH! Sometimes I can be in a assured mood and sometimes the art comes from disgust and anger! Sometimes the solution[s] in art come about based around philosophy and/or free forms! Sometimes you are allowed to be tight in the art and sometimes JUST THE OPPOSITE!
Rabbits & Dinosaurs on Neptune by Mickmo
 
I think I do the art, as a reclusive soul and mostly in private! I have never been to many places other then primarily Missouri and Kansas. I had been to Chicago, Illinois a few times and Saint Louis, Missouri! But yeah....Missouri is just a barren wasteland! I didn't even travel in a plane for a solid 26 years! I GUESS I AM REALLY “THAT” RECLUSIVE!



3) Can you tell us about your works and publications?

I had been published in numerous comic books, magazines, a few newspapers and television networks! JUST SO MANY FROM THE TIMES I HAD DONE THEM!!! And they vary from era to era, I suppose!

I am probably best known for being with Radio Comix for so many short stories of doing FURRLOUGH. [17 to be exact! I did six short stories of a story called DEATH METAL BUNNY BRIGADE towards the end of that particular run.] But I also did adult comics like MILK!, Genus and a pin-up comic called Hit The Beach for Radio Comix as well. And it was fun when I had it. I considered it to be a lot more pure and creative then what they dish out with typical superhero conglomerates! I also was in NUMEROUS issues of Gold Digger Annuals/Swimsuits with Antarctic Press. I tended to do way more color pieces with them, but it was more character driven! [Overall with that....I think I was in well over 45 comics with both. Probably about 60 comic efforts TOTAL!!!]

Mickmo at the Chicago Wizard World Comic Con 2012
 

I was also in Pirates Vs. Ninja Annual #1 with Antarctic. [Which was probably one of my favorites with that one!] And the last issue of Ninja High School Yearbook #20.

I used to do comics like Bug-Slayer and Tales Of Retribution. Those were my earlier to mid-stream works! Along with that old SHOW AND TELL Comics Creators Network stuff....before I was unfairly ousted, of course, by feeble and sterile minds who just plain DIDN'T GET ME THEN!

I had also been pretty known for my serial killers with Serial Killer Magazine for a year and a half! That was more/less my true crime stuff! I also did various album covers and metal art for bands like Grenouer, Punished Earth and Terminal Descent!

Three Bhuddas and Conan O'Brien by Mickmo
But as far as my television stuff goes I had completed 2 framed pieces with the Conan O'Brien and TBS people. That stuff became rather iconic after awhile. Especially the piece I am probably known for! IT LOOKS GOOD....IN NEW YORK! Which was featured as part of CONAN NYC! I did The Flaming “C” as well, but in more of an underground Kansas City style....that was framed by the Oprah Magazine people! That was more of a medium-sized piece, but it was shown at Comic-Con International 2011! And I have BOTH FRAMES from the TBS and Ted Turner folks! But i'd say the Conan pieces were partially inspired by a director named Yazujiro Ozu, especially the second one! [Low camera angles and “pillow shots” were his “thing”!] I had also had an art piece shown on SVENGOOLIE! [Which shows old cheesy horror films!] And UNSEALED: ALIEN FILES online! [A show on the WB Network about aliens and conspiracies!]
 
Mickmo's Conan O'Brien piece at a museum in New York
 
 
Below is a video of Mickmo's Conan O'Brien art featured on CNN:
 
 
And here is another clip from youtube:
 
 

 

Destroyer of Worlds by Mickmo
4) What are your favourite comic artists and writers?

I have so many, it is hard to name them all in several paragraphs! Some of my outside favorites are not even comic book artists, per se! I like Vincent Van Gogh and H.R. Giger! I like Zdzislaw Beksinski too. Frank Frazetta was really an excellent draftsman of the arts too!

But with comic book creators. I always gravitated towards slightly more underground people like Richard Corben [Den from Heavy Metal Magazine] and Daniel Clowes [Ghost World and Eightball]! I was always fascinated with stuff like Eros, Heavy Metal Magazine and even the Verotik stuff from the 90s! I just went towards lesser-knowns with a much more interesting style!

Robert Crumb has a good underground pulp-ish style! I also like Paulo Eleturi Serperi. [Whom does a comic story called DRUUNA!] I also really liked Robert Williams and his MANIC-MANIAC LOOKING CREATIONS!
 

Gosh, there is just so many I like in terms of art! WRITING....I always was into stuff like Stephen King. But as far as film goes....I really like Yazujiro Ozu, Akira Kurosawa, David Cronenberg....things of the like! I guess I was a little obsessed with VIDEODROME! I still am certain days.....

 
Encrypting the Cryptic
5) Who is your favourite comic book character and why?

I like The Maxx from, of course....THE MAXX!!! And I always liked DEN from Heavy Metal! I also liked the characters in Ghost World and Eightball! I always veered toward lesser-knows and less popular archetype characters, really! And I totally like THE CROW! Or if Doctor House was a comic book character....HE'S BE A GOOD ONE!!! Or even MONK!

THE TOXIC AVENGER also strikes a nerve with me! A wimpy janitor guy who gets powers through a barrel of toxic waste! Or even GODZILLA!!! Another green monster created as a result of toxic waste!

I also like DOCTOR WHO!!! He is not a typical sort-of character either! But he has been around for so long anyway, I almost have to AUTOMATICALLY like The Doctor from Gallifrey! That is just a given! :D










6) Some people define your style as macabre and obscure. How would you define it?

Bob Berdella's Butcher Bloodbath by Mickmo
I do so much with it, that is almost perceived as “macabre” or ”scary”. But “obscure” would be closer to it, depending on what you look at from me and my artistic creations! I guess it means certain things to and within certain people. But sometimes the stuff I do borders on quirky and goofy! I guess my approach to the thing is “make it interesting”! Try new things every now and again! WORTH THE ART THEORY! You can make it straight or you can make it angular!

But DON'T LOOK AT THE OTHER STUFF OUTSIDE OF YOUR OWN!!! Make it my own somehow! Make it somewhat original! Cause there are quite a few cookie-cutter artists out there who just simply DO NOT DO THEIR OWN CREATIONS! And make a hefty mint of money off of it too! It is HARDER AND MORE OF A CHALLENGE to come up with something that is TOTALLY ORIGINAL!

I mean, I have seen what i'd call “potato art” sold on Ebay for 150 dollars! And some fool somewhere would STILL BUY IT!! [Which is nuts to me!]

THE PERCEPTION BEGINS when someone deciphers your art in their own particular ways, they may have had their own perceptions of what ART could BE in advance. And different folks can decipher an art piece differently. That is the interpretations of the vision[s]. To me, I guess it is still STRUCTURE to me! And that's the way it should be. It is harder to become a true original these days cause of so many cookie-cutter people who are just trying to scam folks out of a buck! But this is what I endure in a harsh Missouri tundra!

Mickmo and LLOYD KAUFMAN from Troma Films


7) Where did you get inspiration for the “Masque of Ten-Thousand Deaths” ?

 THE MASQUE OF TEN-THOUSAND DEATHS came from a few things from within and without me. It came from my numerous flashbacks from PTSD. [Post-traumatic stress disorder.] But another inspiration came from a Criterion Collection movie called ONIBABA.
 
The Masque of Ten Thousand Deaths by Mickmo
 

It was a mask that was sort of like that from an old black and white film, but my Masque is drawn a lot more edged-out! But IN MY VERSION OF THE MASQUE, The Masque is essentially WHAT A PERSON SEES WITHIN THEIR OWN SELF! Like dreams and nightmares! It sort of bends the rules of comic books....because it is meant to be SORT OF THIS BARRAGE!!! It is a non-superhero comic book, as it was intended to be!

Taking the usual meanings and the definitions of a story, THEN TURNING IT UPSIDE-DOWN! That is how The Masque came about. It is meant to be AN UNUSUAL STORY!!! I guess it is almost like a reflection of the psyche. IT IS REALLY REALLY DEEP!

 

The Masque of Ten Thousand Deaths by Mickmo

 

8) What is a typical day like in the life of Mickmo?

 The typical life for me. [At this moment in time!] Feed my cat Bandit and watch my coveted flatscreen. Getting through the occasional muscular aches and pains. Some days I see “The Therapist” to help me out mentally! Some days I may get a flashbacks or 10 from my post-traumatic stress disorder. Some days I watch Doctor Who or Troma marathons! Sometimes I watch Kansas City Public Television! Or Unsealed or whatever is on that looks interesting!

Artwork by Mickmo
I guess a typical day for me nowadays is just SURVIVAL!!! Just surviving the physical and mental aspects of it all above and below my PTSD! Listening to my underground death/black metal in the headphones most days EXCLUSIVELY! Drinking some energy drinks to keep me awake! Taking sleep pills so I don't go terribly neurotic at night, so I can fall asleep without a hitch! Getting on some sort of computer and typing away in social networks! Tinkering with my car at times to get it to run up to the grocery store...yep, SURVIVAL IN A BARREN WASTELAND!!! [It is what it is out here!] CAUSE MISSOURI SORT OF SUCKS ANYWAY!

 

9) Have you ever worked hard on a project and then decided to trash it ? If so, what was it and why?

Oh....I had a project called DORI-MU that was totally based from dreams that I had! The computer crashed and it never seen the light of day! It was a full comic book too! And the original thing I did of Bug-Slayer got scrapped till much later on! Yeah, my old publisher at Passline was a total jackass! I don't really miss those days either! But as they say....ONWARD AND UPWARD!!!


 

Vampire Dissident by Mickmo
 

10) If you could choose one of your creations to become either a film or a TV series, which one would it be and why?

I'd say, probably THE MASQUE OF TEN-THOUSAND DEATHS!!! Because it is intended to play out like an art house film...and that is sort of the way I saw it in my mind! [Like 8 1/2 from Federico Fellini or The Tin Drum!] It is probably the most “photogenic” of my creations that could be translated into a film.

 

11) What challenges do you encounter self-publishing your own work? What advice would you give to up and coming artists/writers?

Oh....I'd say JUST DOING THE ENTIRE THING BY MYSELF!!! When you are with a comic book publisher, there is almost a chain of command! And all you do IS THE ART AND STORY!!!


But when you self-publish ANYTHING, and you don't get no help or a bare minimum of help. Of course it is all on YOU! So the comic book runs just naturally TAKE MUCH LONGER TO DO! And of course, I am sort of this OUTSIDER with the Kansas City, Missouri scene of comic books anyway! Cause the so-called “scene”is rather ass-backwards here. But quite a few of them still consider me to be the one that broke the rules with everything else with it and even thought hey do not admit to it....I AM STILL AN INFLUENCE! I just came up from a weird corner of it all.

Thundarr the Barbarian by Mickmo


I guess I was just doing my own creations ON MY TERMS!!! And that is what I always have done anyway. I was selective in the process of what art assignments I worked on from early on! Some creators in comic books will pretty much work on ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING thrown in front of them! But me...I guess the art has to constitute some sort of ORIGINALITY FACTOR! That is why I did things like Furrlough and The Flaming “C” and stuff like that. CAUSE IT “WAS”DIFFERENT STUFF!!! [Not necessarily “fuzzy” or “comedic” or whatever. It was just ME AND MY ART!]

Contemplation by Mickmo


I don't know!? I guess I am unique in the fact that I am a self-admitting PTSD survivor of 27+ years, and I still do the art in some form or another! I guess it comes from my backgrounds and philosophy of what the art and the stories “can be” or “should be”. My meticulous natures and my approach to the artforms with it probably drive most people up the freaking wall! Oh well...YOU JUST DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO! One day at a time! LOL!

The thing I'd say to any upstart artist/writer/etc....is MAKE SURE YOUR ART IS EXACT! And by that....I mean, it it good enough to measure up to the standards of a certain publisher!? It took me at leas 10 years in order to even get with some independent comic books! AND DON'T EXPECT A LOT OF MONEY AT FIRST! It is sacrifice to do the art! TRUE SACRIFICE!
You don't get there without a certain amount of pain and agony in the long run.

 



12) What are you planning to work on in the near future? Did you set any goals for yourself?

I just want to get out of the house a little more! LOL! Really, I have had ideas that have not seen the light of day yet.

I wanted to be an extra goofy guy in a Troma film. [If your listening to me, Uncle Lloydie and Troma!] And I wanted to do a comic book that is totally based off of UTTER SARCASM!!! I will just leave it at that! ;)

I suppose doing all an exiled reclusive artist can possibly do in a barren wasteland called Missouri! THAT IS ALL ONE CAN DO....CAUSE I AM STILL THE ARMY OF ONE! ;)

My websites are these!




 

Thank you so much for the interview! :D

 

Mickmo

http://mickmoart.deviantart.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment